Tuesday, 25 October 2011

Discrete What???

3 down, and three to go. that's the state of my exams right now. Today I had to endure a torturous bout with discrete structures. I went into the exam hall with my mind buzzing with all the conditions a group must satisfy to be abelian or a ring and the like. And my friends asked me the question I've learnt not to ask anymore-"What's the point of all this?"
And after I received the question paper, I was like "This is it?" . No, no,no it was not that it was easy. It was just that nothing made sense. A question which could only be answered in 3 lines was worth 4 marks. And a single truth table with 8 rows and around 8 columns was worth 10! I mean, what is the logic in all this? And I made my usual set of mistakes. Its back. Yeah. Its been gone for nearly a year and half, but now it is officially back. I am talking about the answer-right-then-cut syndrome that has plagued me for so long...I always write the first answer that pops into my mind, and stick with it, until it is dis-proven logically. On those rare occasions when I don't know an answer or have got a lot of guesses about it, I usually get beaten by this syndrome. Almost always I write the correct answer and then strike it off and replace it with a wrong one. I had no idea what a strongly connected graph was and I ended up writing the correct definition, then cut it, and wrote the wrong one!!!
Well on the whole a "not bad" exam. That's 3 down and 3 to go!!!

FYI: Discrete structures is a maths like subject useful for computer students. You learn about logic, sets and algebra in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment