Sunday, 23 October 2011

Cross Roads...


How was it when you were a teen? When you had entered college? Did you have a very clear picture of where you wanted to be in a couple of year's time? And did you give it your all to make that dram of yours come true? And did it?
Please don't think I start each and every one of my posts accusing each and every one of you, as if you are always wrong and I am always right. It's nothing like that. It's just that, if you answered each of the above questions with a decisive "Yes", then I'd definitely like to hear from you.
The thing is, I have no idea what I want to do in life, or even what kind of job I want to have. Nothing. I've been asked to develop that idea since I was in 12th, and I couldn't and even now, I can't. There is nothing that sticks out. Every idea has its pros and cons, but if I genuinely love an idea I'll do anything I have to  get to it, but the thing is, nothing really makes me feel excited.
There are two options for me. Either I can accept a job after I graduate from college, or I can go for higher studies.
And this is where the deadlock is.
Option 1: The job I get is inevitably one in the IT sector. And one of the trademarks of the sector is its nerve wrecking hours of work. I may have to work for hours on end, and leave me no time for family, but at the end of the day I'll get a huge paycheck.
Option 2: I can go for higher studies but the dilemma still remains. Another thought that rests in the back of my head is whether or not I should enter the teaching profession. I don’t know how many of you know this, I have taught a lot of people. My first "students" were my mother and father, I taught my cousin and a couple of others from school. It is one of the few things that I love to do. The salary will be admittedly lower, but I'll get time to spend with my family and relax, no deadlines, no tension and the like.
Just think of Steve Borden (Sting). The only reason he declined the big fat paycheck from WWE and signed up for TNA was because he cared for his family. He now does not have the incessant travels, and he is respected in the locker room. Ultimately, he made the right choice for himself.
I'd like to conclude with a quote from the movie "Dan in Real Life":

Dear Readers, for most of you, this is my first column in your paper. In the future, I will be answering your questions, but today I want to break from my usual format and talk to you about the subject of plans. Not so much my plan for this column, but life plans, and how we all make them. And how we hope that our kids make good, smart, safe plans of their own. But if we're really honest with ourselves, our plans usually don't work out as we had hoped. So instead of asking our young people "What are you plans? What do you plan to do with your life?" maybe we should tell them this: Plan to be surprised."




No comments:

Post a Comment