Saturday, 17 March 2012

My Fest Tech Fest Experience...(yikes)

Being a college student means that you get little perks like duty leave. What it means is that you can go to any of the tech fests conducted by other colleges and you need not worry about attendance. A lot of my friends go to these tech fests a lot, but refrained, because I felt the whole thing was pointless. People nagged me, including my parents to go to one,but I stood my ground, till now.
It was a Saturday, so I wouldn't be missing any classes. A couple of us made a decision to go to Aagneya, the tech fest organised by Barton Hill Engineering College. It was decided that they would leave by 9:45 and I would wait in the bus stop and board the same bus as them. I was in the bus stop by 9:55. I was waiting, waiting, waiting, did I mention I was waiting??? In case I missed it, I was waiting. And I was waiting for long. It would've been a big deal a couple of years earlier, where you would've no means of contacting others. But now we do have mobile phones. So I called them. It is funny how the answers were..."5 minutes, we're leaving","we're at the bus stop","hold on we're coming..." and the like.
They came. At 11:00. Our plan was to reach there by 10:30, and join coding and debugging, the only things I am good at. By now, it was doubtful if we'd make it before the events.
We reached there by 11:40. There was no enquiry desk, so we wandered here and there and found one deep in the confines of the ground. Isn't an enquiry desk supposed to be at the start? Plus they had no idea what was going on. The left hand didn't know what the right was doing. At last we managed to get our hands on a schedule, and we found out that the coding and debugging that was on today was micro-programming, and we has no idea how to do that. So we settled for a logic quiz called Brain Squared.
While the event was being called, we nipped out and had our "lunch". A pufs, and a bottle of slice, and later a chocobar. That was it. Hello, I am just not used to this!!! I hate this "on the road" lifestyle.
But I settled for it. We lost in the prelims itself for Brain Squared. I've got logic alright. But it needs time to work out. I can't do it in 25 minutes!!! Plus maths was never my strong point, in fact I hate maths.
So that's that. Then we left. I don't know about the others, but I was spent.
My first tech fest, and it had to go down like this (remnants of the Jericho cure, maybe??? for a jerichoholic??).
I learnt  a couple of things today.
1. When your friends say 10:00, they mean 11:00. It seems to be one of the unwritten rules in Kerala. Nobody is ever on time. And those on time usually end up being the fools.
2. This is how a lot of the tech fests are organised, but in their defense, it is not easy, coordinating this whole thing.
3. Skipping lunch for junk food gives you a crushing headache, if you are not used to it.
That's all, my loyal fans...
Do tune in soon for more of the action, excitement and splendor in my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment