Uncertainty.
This is
one of the most despicable words in the English language if you ask me. It is
the exact opposite of order and is synonymous with chaos. But why do I dislike
and possibly hate uncertainty?
Because I
thrive on order. I thrive in a structure, and I was raised in a structure. This
makes me increasingly intolerable of chaos and uncertainty. But to my utter
dismay, everything around me, my whole life seems to be in turmoil.
Well, to
call it turmoil would be a gross hyperbole, but you get my point. Nothing is
ever set in stone around here. Right now what is causing me to lose focus is
the sudden barrage of strikes and a possible postponement of a test.
Allow me
to explain.
A test
was supposed to happen in the beginning of next week. And I had plans for the
weekend. Plans which involved spending time with my relatives back home. And
like always, my plans were thrashed by the wicked demon called Uncertainty.
But, over the years, I have learnt a very valuable lesson from my encounters
with this demon. And it is the fact that if you have a proper plan, and the
will, you can look the demon in the eye and say "Bring it on".
And that
was exactly what I did. I made it a point to study, and I did just that for the
past one week. I decided that I would finish my portions beforehand so that
nothing could ruin my weekend. And I was proud of what I had done. I was proud
of the fact that I had beaten the demon at his own game, and I had seized
control of my life.
But alas,
pride comes before a fall.
That, and
I forgot the demon is shrewd.
He did
the one thing he could to throw me off course. He spread a rumour that the test
would be put off. And that really caught me off guard. I didn't know what to
do. I lost my drive to study because my logic told me that the test would be
put off. But the critic in me just pops the question stochastically
(randomly) - "What if it
isn't?" You can tell me all you want that I should study because it will
never go "waste", and I know I would do the same if I were in your
shoes and you mine. But the thing is whoever is in my position, knows it is not
easy. When you are confronted with the possibility of a postponement, you lose
half the vigour to work. And when that possibility becomes a near-damn
probability, you lose all the will. It is a fact. Not necessarily a good thing,
but a thing nevertheless.
This day
is over, and tomorrow, the uncertainty ends. Tomorrow, the dust settles and the
demon's ploy ends. Tomorrow, whatever happens, I am going home. I am determined
to have a good time no matter what. But Donald Trump's words come to mind,
"See
the big picture. But be prepared for the picture to change."
I think
of it as a slightly different phrase,
"Hope
for the best, but be prepared for the worst."
No comments:
Post a Comment