Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Marooned...


No, I was not drenched in a coat of maroon paint, if that’s what you are thinking. I am referring to the other meaning of marooned. The dictionary provides this definition:
ma·roon 
tr.v. ma·roonedma·roon·ingma·roons
1. To put ashore on a deserted island or coast and intentionally abandon.
2. To abandon or isolate with little hope of ready rescue or escape: The travelers were marooned by the blizzard.
n.
1. often Maroon
a. A fugitive Black slave in the West Indies in the 17th and 18th centuries.
b. A descendant of such a slave.
2. A person who is marooned, as on an island.
It has been a long time since I posted. It was partly because of a lack of inspiration and partly because of  certain technical problems. My modem just quit working. I had to wait an entire week to replace it, and in that time, I was effectively marooned.
But this leads us to think about one of the most ubiquitous things in our life. Something which has become  such an important part of our life, that we fail to see its influence in our lives. Just like we don’t know the value of water till the well has gone dry, we don’t see the value of the internet till you are effectively taken off of the web. I was, and I realized how much I relied on the web. We had a function at our college during that time, and I was supposed to design the powerpoint presentation, and boom! I no longer had access to pictures, or information to do that. I wanted to check my mail for the info the others had shared with me. But hey….you need a net connection for that. So stupid of me. To check out a video on youtube, or for that matter google the results of an important wrestling PPV, apparently both google and youtube are on the web as well, silly me.
I was cut off from most of my life. This has taught me a very important lesson in life. You don’t value the things you take for granted. You only realize their value, and what they meant to you when you lose them. In my case, it was a simple case to restore, but it need not always be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment